Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Sometimes Things Don't Go As Planned

      I want to take a second and tell you all about my weekend. I was so excited because I had three shoots booked! THREE!!! I could not believe it! I worked the timing down to a tee to fit everyone in! One shoot after a pervious appointment on Saturday in PA before getting on a train to head back to NYC, and then two shoots back to back after church on Sunday.

    Saturday ended up working out even though I was a little late due to traffic (and more traffic and more traffic). But I called the family that I was meeting and they were very understanding. It turned out that we got some amazing light due to me being late! Happy accident! I was a little pressed for time before my train but it all worked out.



    Sunday is another story. I went to church as planned, but when I got out of the service I saw that my first shoot had to reschedule due to a child being sick. I totally understood and we rescheduled right away for next week. So now I had two hours to wait until my shoot at 3:30. I decide to enjoy the beautiful Fall day and roam around the city a bit. A half hour before the shoot I check my email just in case my client tried to contact me. It turns out she did and needed to push the shoot back due to her son not waking up from his nap on time. She said that she would text me when they were 15 minutes away. Not a problem but I had to make sure that my very old phone battery lasts until she tries to get in contact with me. I turn my phone to airplane mode and head to the location where I was meeting my clients. I took out my phone and was really proud when I saw that it was still at 30%! Yes I did it! I kept my old rarely working phone on until I met these new people! So I take out and open a app. As I do that my whole phone just SHUTS OFF!!!! I could not believe it! My stupid phone!!! What was I going to do!? I had no way of contacting my clients! I decided to sit at our meeting location with my camera out in case my client came by instead of texting me first. I waited there for an hour before I threw in the towel and headed home.

    Raced home is more like it! I got to my computer as fast as I possibly could! When I opened up my email I saw that I had three new messages from my second scheduled shoot! I held my breath thinking it was going to be the worst. Telling me how angry she was and how she will never set up another shoot again, but what I got was three emails of concern! No anger, no yelling, she was just worried about me! I could honestly not believe it! Then my phone finally turns back on and my second client contacted my first (they are friends) and so now my first client was worried about me and trying to make sure I was ok too! I felt so bad for making them worry about me, but I sat back and was in awe about what amazing people I got to work with! Most people would have been angry at me, but not these ladies! I assured them that I was ok and that my phone is apparently just done with me. In the end we rescheduled both shoots and I learned a very good lesson. I will make sure that this situation will never happen again!

      Even though my weekend did not go as planned, I did get to do something that I rarely get to do. I wondered around the city with my camera! Having two hours to walk around and shoot was so nice! Here are some of the shots that I got in some of my favorites places in the city!

Bryant Park Ice Skating Rink
New York Public Library
Grand Central Station 
5th ave / Central Park 
Central Park 






1 comment: